New Member from the US

• claudiaaush

Wassermelone ist toll, danke !

• claudiaaush

Kekse ? hab ich ?

• karin66

ich möchte mir gerne ein Hörnchen anschaffen .

Bei meiner Suche bin ich bei thailändischen zwergstreifenhörnchen angekommen. Woher kann ich Infos bekommen ? Lg

• claudiaaush

Ich teil mal die Flasche Sekt mit Euch, schönen Sonntag noch ?

• claudiaaush

? ?

• Bröselchen

?

• Gipsy

Hallo

• Bröselchen

Moin ?

• claudiaaush

schönen Sonntag Allen ?

• claudiaaush

Ich danke mal der HV so tolle Menschen kennengelernt zu haben ….. musste ich mal sagen ?

• claudiaaush

ohne diese tolle Plattform ?‍♀️ nicht möglich. Danke !!!!

• Bombelka

Sehe ich genauso :app2:

• Bröselchen

:)

• claudiaaush

:hallo:

• claudiaaush

wollen wir eigentlich Wichteln? Nur mal soo 😇

• Daniel86

Seit ein paar Jahren interessiere ich mich für Streifenhörnchen, da bisher der Platz nicht ausreichend gegeben war konnte ich mir keines zulegen. Da ich ab kommendes Jahr ausreichend Platzt habe bin ich nun auf der Suche nach einem Jungen Streifenhörnchen. Woher bekomme ich denn einen Kontakt?

• Daniel86

Welche Züchter gibt es überhaupt noch?

• Flitzi

Für sibirische Hörnchen sollte es offiziell keine Züchter mehr geben, Alternativ wären amerikanische Chipmunks

• Daniel86

Ok, dann informiere ich mich mal über chipmunks. Wo gibt es dafür dann Züchter?

• modip

Hallo in die Runde, gibt es bitte Fotos von den Hörnchenflöhen?

• Bröselchen

🍾🥂🍀kommt gesund ins und durch das neue Jahr

• Bombelka

Es wurde ja noch gar nichts dieses Jahr geschrieben... Erste! :P

• Bröselchen

Gratuliere 😁

• Fips

Glückwunsch auch von mir :knutsch3: :froehlich:

• Bröselchen

Bei dem ganzen Regen muss ich Watson nicht mehr füttern, er wird nur noch gegossen. Wünsche allen etwas Sonne 🌞

• claudiaaush

Danke, also in H hat’s nicht soooo geklappt 😂 nice Weekend

• Bröselchen

Zuhülfe..blauer Himmel

• Abby

Hallo guten Abend. Ich habe mal eine Frage . Ist es n8rmal das Baumis einen schnellen Herzschlag haben ?

• JennyPiefke

Hallo, ich bin neu hier. Mein Name ist Jenny, wir besitzen seid 4 Jahren Chinesische Baumstreifenhörnchen.

• Bröselchen

Hallo Jenny, ich wünsche dir viel Spaß beim Stöbern.

• Hallo

I am a new member from the US. I own 3 siberian chipmunks, 2 agouti (1 male and 1 female) and 1 dilute (female). I imported them from the UK. I had another agouti who was imported from China, he was sick and lived only for 1.5 years but he was the most intelligent chipmunk I owned. I have had my chipmunks for 2 years.

I was just in Germany for work in the Heidelberg area. I have been to Germany 2 times for work.

Can the members on this forum provide titles and authors of books that are written in Germany so I can learn more about the Siberian Chipmunk?

I also have many questions for the German Siberian Chipmunk owners.

1. How did the siberian chipmunk get to Germany? Did the South Koreans export them to Germany?

2. When were the siberian chipmunks first imported to Germany? For example, were they first imported in the 1960's?

3. What is the most popular color of the siberian chipmunk, agouti or dilute?

4. Do the veterinarians well educated regarding the siberian chipmunk?

5. Are the siberian chipmunks sold in pet stores?

6. Where are the siberian chipmunks sold in Germany come from? Are they bred in Germany or imported from China or South Korea?

7. Is the siberian chipmunk considered an "exotic pet" in Germany?

Thank you for helping me learn more about the siberian chipmunk in Germany.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome :)

Ich versuch es mal mit fröhlichem Denglisch (German - English) ^^

The best Book in German is: "Streifenhörnchen" Author: Alexandra Beißwenger

Our Infopage: http://www.hoernchenvilla.de/

- formerly, they came from asia, mostly from china,

- :ratlos: I have seen my first chipmunk in the 80's,

- agouti (in German: Wildfarben, oder Naturfarbend ) ,

- not all of them,

- yes,

- almost all come from breeder,

- hmm.. yes and no; by trend or tends to(?) yes, is an exotic pet,

I must lost one marble .. to write in english :D Sorry :peinlich: ^^

Ich hoffe, ich konnt trotzdem helfen :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Welcome to HV! ;)

First... your are searching for German literature... I'm curios: Do you have a German speaking friend (or someone else) or do you speak a little bit German?

1. Burunduks live in forest in the north of the whole continent Eurasia. Probably they spreaded themselves - there are no big geological barriers like montains, sea or desert that could have prevented. In Germany there are some wild populations, but these chipmunks were imported as pets.

2. I don't know exactly when... but I know an old (80+) prof who had a siberian chipmunk when he was young. Therefore I assume the chipmunks were in Germany since 1960 (at least).

3. There are colours called "wildfarben", "weiß" (white), "zimt" (cinnamon), "grau" (grey) and "gescheckt" (brindled). The most common (an my favorite) ist the the "wildfarben" color. I am suprised that the colour is called agouti, cause I know the name as term used for all kind of fur were the top of a hair has another (darker) color as the rest. :)

4. No, but it's getting better. ;) The more they see the better they will be. :D

5. Sometimes chipmunks are sold in pet stores. The conditions are not good there so we prefer to buy them form breeders or animal shelters.

6. The most are born in Germany.

7. Burunduks are still exotic but they become more common. A lot of people get to know them by seeing "Alvin and the chipmunks" ore Disney's "Chip and Chap" and want to have one - but a chipmunk as pet is harder then it seems to be. Big cages, wild month in the autumn and so on... ;) So some people decide to have none when they inform themselves.

• Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I will try to find the book. If someone can provide me the ISBN code, I may be able to import it from AmazonUK.

I work for a German software company located in Walldorf, DE but am located in their US subsidiary. I can use Google translate to translate it. It will be difficult but there are not many books written about the Siberian and I think I own all the ones written in English. I also have German colleagues in both Germany and the US that can lend a hand with my Siberian chipmunk hobby.

How do most of the HV forum members house their siberians, outside in an aviary or inside in cages?

What do the HV forum member own? agouti (brown) ones or the dilutes (white). which color is the most popular?

How many do most of the HV forum members own? One or many.

Everyone's english is terrific on this forum. How's my German? Only kidding!

My favorite chipmunk, don't tell the others, was Buddy (agouti) and he went over the rainbow bridge in January. I had him for 1.5 years. He came from a broker in Chicago and was probably imported from China.

I imported in June 2011, 4 chipmunks from a UK hobby breeder, 2 agoutis and 2 dilutes, male/female, unrelated so they could breed. The dilute male died after 3 days from arrival. I still have the others and am hoping for a litter of agouti. Lilly is the dilute and Remy and Martyn are the agouti.

I will load photos but I don't know how to resize them to meet the 150 K requirement.

I've deleted the pictures with more than one siberian on it, because of the rules of the HV.
    Ich habe die Bilder mit mehreren Streifis gelöscht - siehe Nutzungsbestimmungen.

dead

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hello and welcome to the HV.

At first I may say sorry for my bad english otherwise it’s a
    german forum and you don’t have another chance as to lump it. :D

I will try to find the book. If someone can provide me the ISBN code, I may be able to import it from AmazonUK.

Paperback: 64 pages
    Publisher: Graefe Und Unzer Verlag (Feb 2008 )
    Language German
    ISBN-10: 3833801832
    ISBN-13: 978-3833801839
    Product Dimensions: 19.8 x 16.2 x 0.8 cm

How do most of the HV forum members house their siberians, outside in an aviary or inside in cages?

Most of our members house their siberians (Tamias sibiricus) inside in cages with minimum dimensions of 100x100x200 cm (length, width, height).

What do the HV forum member own? agouti (brown) ones or the dilutes (white). which color is the most popular?

Brown ones are most popular followed by a colour named cinnamon and then the white ones.

How many do most of the HV forum members own? One or many.

Every Tamias sibricus have to be housed on its own. So most of the forum members own only one of them.
    That is the reason why I will delete every picture wich shows more than one siberian in one cage or not seperated area.

I imported in June 2011, 4 chipmunks from a UK hobby breeder, 2 agoutis and 2 dilutes, male/female, unrelated so they could breed.

The HV is strictly against hobby breeding and the rules of this forum forbid to speak about breeding.
    Maybe you don't understand the rules you've accepted with the registration, but now you know two important.
    Don't argue about breeding and don't show pictures with more than one siberian.

And for the german ones:

Ich hoffe ihr hattet euren Spaß beim Lesen meines Versuchs halbwegs verständliches englisch zu schreiben :zunge:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Most of our members house their siberians (Tamias sibiricus) inside in
    cages with minimum dimensions of 100x100x200 cm (length, width, height).

Hi Marci
    Also a welcome from me.
    Chipmunks need a large cage 40" x 40" x 80" for each

• Zitat

Every Tamias sibricus have to be housed on its own. So most of the forum members own only one of them.
    That is the reason why I will delete every picture wich shows more than one siberian in one cage or not seperated area.

Zitat

The HV is strictly against hobby breeding and the rules of this forum forbid to speak about breeding.

I am sorry to admit, I did not read the rules about more than one chipmunk in a photo and breeding discussions. Now that I know these rules, I will abide by them. Are there any other important rules I should know about?

I will post individual chipmunk photos of Lilly, Remy, and Martyn when I get a chance.

I am curious, what are the reasons for these rules? Are they based in German Law or is it HV's forum rules. Either way, can someone explain it to me?

In the US, there are only a few of us that have Siberian Chipmunks, at least the ones that are active in networking to try to help promote the health and safety of the pet. There are even less hobby breeders in the US. We have to rely on getting our chipmunks from a few brokers who get them from a few importers. They are being imported from China. We have no idea how old they are and if they are healthy. I have met a few people on the US squirrel board that have chipmunks and posted on that forum because their chipmunks were not healthy and they were seeking advice.

This is the reason I imported 4 chipmunks from the UK last year from a hobby breeder. The importation costs were over $1.600 US or 1.200 EUROS, which was quite expensive. I am very active on a UK chipmunk forum where we can talk about anything. There are no forums in the US about the siberians because they are such a rare pet here.

How much in euros are the agouti, dilute, and cinnamon chipmunks cost in Germany?

Thank you for the book information. I will try to find it.

And I got a chance to look at some other pages on the HV website, the content is wonderful!

• Hello ^^

unfortunately, my English is very bad, but I do a welcome:D

Warm welcome to the villa of the Chipmunk lunatic!

The questions you have put, unfortunately, I cannot answer to you, an Admin can help there to you (subject Breeding) certainly:)

I have paid 60 euros for my white Chipmunk!

Greetings

• Show sometimes on the info bell-boy under ' No - go - Area '
    There ' little boom will take away, e.g., described some people ' as a taming method apply!
    Such a method signifies stress for the animal and is, I find, still extremely unfair. One keeps his retreat place in to himself the animal certainly feels! Thus it must take up with de respective people contact!

(what can do such a translator's program everything;))

• Hello Marci,

i want to welcome you too. My English is bad, i´m sorry ^^

Siberian Chipmunks are loner. That´s the reason why you can´t post a photo with more than one Siberian Chipmunk.

I hope i could help you. Sorry again for my bad English :peinlich:

Liebe Grüße

Chris & Jenny :knutsch3:

(11.08.2011 in gedenken an Jacky R.I.P)♥
    (17.03.2012 in gedenken an Benni R.I.P)♥

• Something does get lost in the translation. I agree.

Show some times on the info bell-boy under 'no - go - Area'
    There's a little boom will take away, eg, Described some people 'as a taming method apply!
    Such a method signifies stressful for the animal and is, I find, breastfeeding extremely unfair. One keeps his retreat place himself in to the animal certainly feels! Thus it must take up with respective de people contact! (what can do such a translator program's everything )

This statement did not translate well into English. Try writing it in German again, send it to me via PM and I will translate it using a translator.

But Wow, what an interesting discussion/topic for me.

Chipmunks are solitary animals but they can co-habitate in a large aviary. The UK owners have proved this. I even have a pair that have been living together for almost a year. And yes, Remy the female was slightly aggressive towards Martyn and I separated them for one week and it cured the problem. If you are a responsible chipmunk owner, you can monitor the chipmunks when they are together. So is the solitary rule on this forum strictly a forum rule or a German law?

Concerning the taming method/unfair Zähmungsmethoden, what does the HV forum consider unfair, inappropriate, bad, cruel and so on?

Only positive taming methods have been discussed on the US or UK forums. I am curious about this topic in Germany and why it has been cited. The UK and US owners use this method to tame: patience, perserverence, kindness, and TREATS to build TRUST. The UK members and I that keep our chipmunks indoors allow them to run around loose in a room or in the house that has been "chipmunk-proofed" so they do not get into any trouble. letting them run loose allows them to build trust in you as they learn to approach you.

This exchange is so interesting!!!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will post individual chipmunk photos of Lilly, Remy, and Martyn when I get a chance.

Sure. We are addicted to chipmunk photos and cannot get enough of them. :D

I am curious, what are the reasons for these rules? Are they based in German Law or is it HV's forum rules. Either way, can someone explain it to me?

These are the rules of this forum, because we're thinking that they will help some chipmunks to become better lives. In our opinion there are many things going the wrong way in keeping of animals.

There are no forums in the US about the siberians because they are such a rare pet here.

Maybe it's your chance to make your own forum for the US... ;)

How much in euros are the agouti, dilute, and cinnamon chipmunks cost in Germany?

The prices for agouti chipmunks vary from 25 Euro to 80 Euro. Dilute an cinnamon chipmunks are more expensive - they vary from 50 to nearly 100 Euro.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Chipmunks are solitary animals but they can co-habitate in a large aviary. The UK owners have proved this.

We think that no aviary is large enough to keep the chipmunks together. They need a lot of room to get themselves out of the way in times of aggression and trouble.
    If they haven't enough room they will kill one another.

Concerning the taming method/unfair Zähmungsmethoden, what does the HV forum consider unfair, inappropriate, bad, cruel and so on?

Some people take all the houses from the aviary so that the animals haven't any chance to back out. Some people keep the food back from the chipmunk in order to give it only from their hands. These are two examples of what we consider unfair.

The UK members and I that keep our chipmunks indoors allow them to run around loose in a room or in the house that has been "chipmunk-proofed" so they do not get into any trouble. letting them run loose allows them to build trust in you as they learn to approach you.

We also allow them to leave their cage. In many cases this is the last step of the way to learn to trust the pet owner.

• This statement did not translate well into English. Try writing it in German again, send it to me via PM and I will translate it using a translator.

I am very sorry I have used the more translated, but otherwise, I do not do it :S My English is very bad, but I also wanted to join in the conversation just :whistling:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!